Najib Razak has told Putrajaya to ignore statements made by two “useless” Cabinet ministers, and called for the government to review the risk Covid-19 posed in the education sector.
The former prime minister said he was uncomfortable with the number of new clusters being detected daily, especially those linked to the education sector.
Najib said the government had previously announced that over 23,000 students below the age of 12 had contracted the virus and this proves how easily Covid-19 could spread.
The main reason, he said, was because many students were asymptomatic and could easily infect others, including their classmates, teachers and adults at home.
Najib went on to say that unlike Malaysia, schools in other countries were among the last to be reopened after a lockdown.
And this is why the government must reassess this policy.
“If not, it could lead to a bigger disaster. Hasn’t anyone in the Cabinet thought of this possibility?,” he asked in a Facebook post.
He added that as at April 17, a total of 42 clusters linked to the education sector had been detected.
“Please ignore the statements by the two useless Perikatan Nasional ministers who insist that schools will stay in session and even told parents not to worry as the education ministry knows how to manage the clusters.
“If the students themselves are asymptomatic and are not aware they are (Covid-19) positive, who are you to manage them?”
While Najib did not identify the ministers, it is believed he was alluding to education minister Radzi Jidin and women, family and community development minister Rina Harun.
At the same time, Najib said that the government needs to expedite the delivery of 150,000 online learning devices to the B40 group in the event that schools are forced to close again.
“Don’t wait until the end of September to distribute them.” FMT