KUALA LUMPUR: Former prime minister Najib Razak claims that Tommy Thomas’ move to strike out his 1MDB malicious prosecution lawsuit is an attempt to prevent the “wrongdoings” of the former attorney-general from being aired in court.
He said Thomas stated that the Federal Constitution principles of “all persons are equal before the law and entitled to equal protection of the law” did not apply to himself as far as the prosecutions against him (Najib) were concerned.
“Am I not too afforded equal protection as other Malaysians?
“The facts I rely upon are contained in my affidavit and will be aired out in court,” he said in a short statement to object to Thomas’ striking out bid.
In moving the High Court to strike out Najib’s civil action, Thomas said in November last year that the former prime minister’s lawsuit against him and the government,
alleging misfeasance in public office over the 1MDB-related charges, was filed for “political reasons”.
He added that it was “for use in the campaign leading up to the Melaka elections and the next general election”.
“The four criminal cases against Najib are still pending in the High Court and Najib remains an accused person,” Thomas said.
He also said Najib’s lawsuit had no cause of action as his claim was vague and without particulars.
Najib had filed the suit against Thomas and the government, claiming that the 1MDB-related charges against him were “part of a long-planned, premeditated exercise”.
He also claimed that Thomas had prejudged his cases before making a decision to charge him, and also interfered in the investigations.
Najib is seeking RM1.94 million in damages.
He alleged that Thomas, who was attorney-general from June 4, 2018 to Feb 28, 2020, carried out his duties “in line with the plans” of the then Pakatan Harapan (PH) government.
Thomas was appointed after PH won the 14th general election (GE14) and formed the government, with Dr Mahathir Mohamad assuming the post of prime minister for a second time.
The government — which is named as co-defendant — and Thomas seek to strike out Najib’s suit on the grounds that it is frivolous, vexatious and an abuse of the court process.
Thomas doesn’t want his ‘wrongdoings’ aired in court, says Najib
Baca Artikel Menarik:
- Wakil rakyat pembangkang ‘ghaib’ ketika bencana banjir – Ismail
- Menakjubkan! Seekor Rusa Melompat Sebelum ‘Terbang’ Tinggi Ke Udara [VIDEO]
- Unsur mistik dalam kehilangan Kamaliah?
- Khalid serah banglo, penthouse, kereta selepas isteri setuju poligami
- Orang utan bunuh manusia: Kenyataan Zuraida undang kecaman netizen
- Alfie Zumi dipukul kumpulan lelaki bermotosikal
- Poster man UMNO, awalkan PRU15
- Suria KLCC cat semula dekorasi Tahun Baharu Cina selepas dikecam
- Azhan Rani Ingat Detik Kemalangan, Puncanya 2 Remaja Naik Motor Kapcai Tengah Bersembang
- Teguran Nik Abduh dibidas Sanusi
- Angkara Pagar Rumah Rupanya Mengundang Sengsara
Layari Laman Facebook MYKMU.NET