PETALING JAYA: It is the prime minister who decides whether under-siege Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) chief Azam Baki remains in that office, a lawyer said.
Muhammad Rafique Rashid Ali said Section 5 (1) of the MACC Act states that the Yang di-Pertuan Agong shall, on the advice of the prime minister, appoint a chief commissioner of the anti-graft agency.
“As a constitutional monarch, the King must, on the advice of the prime minister, appoint or remove the MACC chief from that office,” he told FMT.
Rafique said this in response to a statement, reported by Sinar Harian yesterday, quoting Azam as saying that only the King could ask him to resign.
“The MACC chief got it wrong on his appointment under our written law (MACC Act and the Federal Constitution),” he said.
He said Article 40 of the Federal Constitution states that the King, in the exercise of his function, must act based on the advice of the Cabinet or a minister.
Rafique said even the appointment of an attorney-general, be it involving a civil servant or a contract officer, is based on the advice of the prime minister as provided for under Article 145 (1).
“He, too, can be removed from office by the King on the advice of the prime minister,” he said, citing the case of former attorney-general Mohamed Apandi Ali.
There have been repeated calls from several quarters for Azam to resign in light of the recent revelation of his alleged extensive ownership of shares in a public-listed company.
However, at a special press conference last week, Azam denied any wrongdoing and said his brother used his trading account to acquire the shares.
The Securities Commission is investigating the case.
Jika anda mengalami kemurungan dan tekanan hubungi:
MHPSS di 03-29359935 atau 014-3223392
Talian Kasih 15999 / WhatsApp Talian Kasih di 019-2615999 (Bagi pelbagai bantuan aduan keganasan rumahtangga dan pelbagai lagi masalah seperti penderaan);
KSK-Care JAKIM di WhatsApp 0111-9598214
Befrienders Kuala Lumpur di talian 03-76272929
CPRC Kebangsaan KKM
Telefon : 03 8881 0200 / 03 8881 0600 / 03 8881 0700
Whatsapp : +60178429454
Email : [email protected]
Kongsikan kepada keluarga dan rakan anda
Baca Artikel Menarik:
- Ada ‘tangan ghaib’ ubah data kematian Covid-19, dakwa Tiong
- Khairy jadi sasaran Tiong lagi, kali ini isu pembelian vaksin
- Kekasih pisau cukur saman putera diraja Itali
- Abang Viva dapat hadiah superbike Yamaha XJ6
- Pemuda Umno lancar kaji selidik berhubung isu pengeluaran KWSP
- Kelibat lembaga ‘misteri’ bergolek atas jalan raya
- Pegawai JIM dakwa diugut pegawai penyiasat SPRM
- Isteri serang kekasih gelap suami
- Pening kepala dapat jiran perangai macam ini
- Hati Mahadi Sedih Dapat Tahu Lamaran Ditolak, Rupanya Kena Prank Dengan Ibu Bapa Heliza [VIDEO]
- “Jangan Buat Perkara Mengarut!! PU Syed Tegur Trend ‘Unboxing Pengantin’ Di TikTok [VIDEO]
Layari Laman Facebook MYKMU.NET