Sessions Court orders Perak exco Paul Yong to file application to stay rape trial

Share

The Sessions Court here has ordered Perak executive council member Paul Yong Choo Kiong (pic) to file a written application for a stay of proceeding for his rape trial to allow an appeal to be heard at the Federal Court first.

Sessions Court judge Norashima Khalid ordered Yong to submit the application on Feb 18 and set March 3 for the re-mention.

She also ordered the prosecution to file a counter-affidavit on Feb 25.

It was reported that Yong’s initial appeal at the Court of Appeal for his trial to be transferred from the Sessions Court to the High Court has been dismissed.

Following the decision by the appellate court, Yong’s counsel filed an appeal at the Federal Court on Monday (Feb 10) evening.

When met outside the courtroom on Tuesday (Feb 11), Rajpal said they have been instructed by Norashima to file in their written application along with an affidavit on the matter.

“We have also been ordered to give our written submissions to the judge to decide on the application for the stay. As for the trial this week, it has been cleared,” he said.

Rajpal also said they have yet to get a new date for the proceedings at the Federal Court.

“It will be a long process. The appellate court judge would need to prepare a written explanation for their decision before it can be heard at the Federal Court,” he said.

Yong’s application to transfer his case from the Sessions Court to the High Court was dismissed by Judicial Commissioner Datuk Mohd Radzi Harun in December last year.

In August last year, he claimed trial to raping his former 23-year-old Indonesian maid at his house.

The act was said to have been committed in a room on the top floor of his house in Meru Desa Park on July 7, between 8.15pm and 9.15pm.

The Star

Leave a Reply