Controversial preacher Zakir Naik (pic) will not be speaking from the stage in Perlis as the police will not allow him to speak at the “Malaysia Reverts Camp 2019”.
Perlis police chief SAC Noor Mushar Mohd said Friday (Aug 16) that in view of the 150 police reports lodged against Zakir Naik, it would be best if the controversial preacher and his family steered clear of the event.
“Zakir can come to Perlis, but he can’t talk and action will be taken against him if he does so, ” SAC Noor Mushar said at a press conference at the Perlis police headquarters here Friday.
Noor Mushar also said if Zakir wants to give talks in the future, a ten-day notice must be given, including the subject of his talk.
“We are a multi-racial country and the sensitivities of others have to be taken into consideration, ” he said.
Meanwhile, Perlis Mufti Datuk Dr Mohd Asri Zainul Abidin has written to the organisers of the event saying that Zakir and his family should be “excused from the event” to ensure nothing untoward happens to them.
“For the benefit of Zakir and his family, this department would like to advise you to excuse him and his family from the Malaysia Reverts Camp 2019.
“This is to ensure that he and his family are not disturbed due to issues raised by those with ill intentions, ” said Asri in the letter to Muhammad Zamri Vinoth Kalimuthu of One Centre Malaysia, which is organising the event.
The event, which was being publicised via social media, was to feature Zakir, his wife and three children, who are also evangelists.
It was publicised as one of the biggest gatherings of Muslim converts in the country.
As of Friday (Aug 16), a post featuring the event on Zakir’s Facebook page had been deleted.
Read more at https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2019/08/16/cops-put-the-brakes-on-zakir-naik-speech-at-perlis-event#R4lvZ43BTcboycfq.99